Learning a new language or improving a language you already know can be tough. It takes hours of serious training in a formal classroom setting before you can really master the use of the language and its nuances. These days though, language learning can be done everywhere. This is with the help of language improvement apps. There are a lot of them that you can make use of to improve your skills. In fact, some of them can be downloaded for free. Here are 5 apps that could work well for you.
- Duolingo. This is one of the best apps for foreign language learning. It does not just give you the usual translation of words, but it helps make the experience more fun. You will receive points each time you get correct answers to the questions posed. You may also get in-game currency that you can use to buy items from their virtual store. The lessons are also designed in such a way that learners start from basic up until they learn more complicated words. There are people who have mastered another language simply by using this app.
- Memrise. This app is unique in a sense that it forces you to really memorize the words, especially if you are learning Spanish. You can also choose across different levels, from basic Spanish to the more advanced Spanish. You will be given a module to follow where you learn 15 words at a time. The level of difficulty increases as soon as you master the basic words. It is for free so you can try it now.
- Busuu. This is the perfect app if you want a more interactive form of learning. You learn the language not just from the app itself, but also from interaction with native speakers of the language. This means that you can improve not just by memorizing the words, but also by listening to how people speak and interact. Eventually, you can learn the correct pronunciation and even the usage of the words in normal conversations. You may also ask your peers if you have pronounced the words properly. The goal here is to make you sound like the foreign language is your native tongue.
- Urban Dictionary. This app is more useful for the older generations. Sometimes, millennials keep coming up with new words that are difficult to understand. They combine words, shorten them or even come up with a totally new word you might not have even heard of before. Urban dictionary allows you to understand the meaning of these words, referred to as “slang”, and how you can appropriately use them in a sentence. The next time you use them, your kids won’t laugh at you anymore.
- This is the best app if you are searching for over the phone interpreters. You can easily search for the location of the interpreter you need and the language/s he or she speaks. You can seek for assistance right away over the phone or you can even make appointments to meet in person. This is applicable in different fields, including medicine, law and education. Looking for an interpreter has never been this easy with the help of this app.
You definitely have to keep these apps on your phone if you want to avoid language related problems.